Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check the proportional odds assumption in multilevel ordered logit

I am currently running a multilevel ordered logit with individuals nested within seven countries, where the DV has three outcomes (0 = disagree, 1 = indifferent, 2 = agree). For simplicity, let's say that I add two IVs:
    X1 = gender dummy variable (0 = man, 1 = woman)
    X2 = patriotism on a 9 point scale, considered to be continuous

Lets forget about the multilevel structure for a moment, and just run an ordered logit:

ologit attitude gndr patriotism

I can then use the Brant test command (part of the 'spost'-add-on, installed using -findit spost-), to check the proportional odds assumption (that the cumulative odds ratio is constant across response categories):

brant, detail

However, I want to test the proportional odds assumption with a multilevel structure. First I run the model of interest:

meologit attitude gndr patriotism || country:, intmethod(ghermite)

Then, if I run the Brant test command as before, I get an error:

brant, detail
    brant can only be used after ologit

I am not sure if it is at all possible to check the proportional odds assumption in multilevel models. If it is, do you know of any (possibly user-written) commands that I could use in this instance?
    Last edited by Sixten Maximillian Thestrup; 08 May 2014, 01:06.

Hi Sixten,

You could try fitting an equivalent model using gllamm (SSC) relaxing the parallel lines assumption and do a set of test postestimation commands to discern whether there's evidence of the assumption being violated.

something like:

Code:
    eq thresh: gndr patriotism
    gllamm attitude, i(country) family(binomial) link(ologit) thresh(thresh)
    test [_cut11]_b[gndr] = [_cut21]_b[gndr]
    test [_cut11]_b[patriotism] = [_cut21]_b[patriotism]
    The test commands should give you some sense of whether the assumption is violated for those variables.

​- joe
    Joseph Nicholas Luchman, Ph.D., PStat® (American Statistical Association)
    ----
    Research Fellow
    Fors Marsh

----
    Version 18.0 MP

Comment

Hi Joseph,

Would it be possible to run a partial-proportional odds model in gllamm?
      I.e., once significance tests reveal the coefficient for threshold _cut11 and _cut12 do significantly differ, but the thresholds for _cut12 and _cut13 [and _cut14, etc.] do not,
      is there some way to account for this in a new model?

Thanks.
      Martijn

Comment

Has there been any additional solutions to this issue since this was written? Can you use the test command after running meologit or can it only be used for gllamm?

Comment

Working...
        X