X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative Cramer's V

Hi all,

Can someone please guide me with interpreting ''negative Cramer's V''
    I am trying to find the association between the independent variable (gender) and dependent (purchase behaviour (PQ_new) and I run the following code

tabulate PQ_new gender_1_0, chi2 row V

PQ_new gender
    Male Female Total
    No 30 87 117
    25.64 74.36 100.00
    Yes 111 210 321
    34.58 65.42 100.00
    Total 141 297 438
    32.19 67.81 100.00
    Pearson Chi2 = 3.14 Prob = 0.0765
    Cramér's V = -0.0846

A normal Cramer's V ranges between 0 and 1. My concern is this negative value. How to interpret these results? From chi2 value it is clear that gender and purchasing behaviour are not associated.

It would be great if someone could help me.

Thank you

I get the same wrong result you are getting:
    Code:
    . tabi 30 87 \ 111 210, chi2 V

|          col
           row |         1          2 |     Total
    -----------+----------------------+----------
             1 |        30         87 |       117
             2 |       111        210 |       321
    -----------+----------------------+----------
         Total |       141        297 |       438

Pearson chi2(1) =   3.1384   Pr = 0.076
                   Cramér's V =  -0.0846

. display sqrt(r(chi2)/438)
    The calculation that I gave after the tabulation shows that the correct value of Cramer's V for this table is +.08464828. So somehow Stata is getting the sign wrong here.

You should report this to technical support; it is clearly a bug.

Comment

THanks a ton!. Discussed with supervisor and concluded.

Comment

I interpreted your response in #3 as meaning that you did not notify Stata technical support. So I did. They responded by pointing out that in the PDF documentation that comes installed with Stata, they do state that for 2x2 tables, -1 <= V <= 1. And they explained in their response that they return a negative V when the odds ratio in the table is < 1. While this is not, to my knowledge, the conventional way Cramer's V is handled, it is reasonable enough in its own right, and for those of us for whom V should always be non-negative, it is clear that all we need do is take the absolute value of Stata's result.

Comment

I'd also add that Cramer's V is no longer generally regarded as a very useful measure, particularly not for 2 X 2 tables, where an odds ratio, percentage difference, gamma, etc., would be more commonly used. With all due respect to your supervisor, V is quite out of date. (I say this as a person who is himself chronologically stuck in the 20th century. <grin>)

Comment

Working...
          X