Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generating a new variable using 2 variables that are in different rows for the same record

I have a data set where there are up to 5 events and each event has several instruments. Therefore I have several rows for each record. Something like this:
    RECORD EVENT Date instrument 1 Question instrument 1 Question2 instrument 1 Question instrument 1 Date instrument 2 Question instrument 2 Question instrument 2 Question instrument 2 Question instrument 2
    1 1 yyy/mm/dd yyy/mm/dd
    1 2
    1 3 - - - - yyy/mm/dd
    2 1
    2 2
    Let's say I want to calculate the age of participant 1 at the time of the date of instrument 2 recorded during event 3. During event 1 and on the first instrument there was a question asking about date of birth. So the birthday was recorded in event 1, instrument 1, and question 2. Now I want to calculate how old record 1 was at event 3.
    I want a new variable as follows:
    days of life = date instrument 2 (event 3) - date question2 instrument 1 (event 1)
    When I try, the new variable has no values because the 2 dates are in different rows.

egen date1 = max(dateinstrument1), by(record)
    egen date2 = max(dateinstrument2), by(record)

you can then use date functions to get the spread.

Comment

Does participant correspond to record?

Comment

if it's always a difference between record 1 and 3,

g spread = dateinstrument2[3] - dateinstrument1[1]

Comment

#2 will work best when variables such as dateinstrument1 and dateinstrument2 are recorded only once for a participant/record, across all events. Is this true?

Without more information, a more general approach I would suggest is to reshape wide, so that you have only a single observation/row for a participant, and so can play with all their information more easily.

Comment

Working...
          X