Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convergent validity

How would I calculate the convergent validity of two diagnostic tests where both outcome measures are binary?

For others' information, convergent validity is a term used in psychometrics. Basically, two tests measure similar latent constructs (e.g. depressive symptoms and negative mood). They should be correlated. With tests that have sum scores, you can simply show the correlation of the sum scores. I believe this concept would generalize to two different tests that measure the same latent construct.

Of course, Nina noted that she has two binary tests. As a side note, if they're binary because they were continuous measures but someone dichotomized them, I think most people would recommend getting the original continuous scores if you can.

If you can't or if the tests are inherently binary (e.g. physician diagnosis of something), then I haven't seen this situation very much, so this recommendation is based on intuition. If the tests are for the same latent construct and you have one gold standard measure, you could show a cross tabulation of test A vs test B, plus kappa (i.e. show that the tests have substantial agreement with each other), and also show how much each test relates to your gold standard.

If you don't have a gold standard, then you're stuck with showing how much the tests agree (i.e. two way table and show the value of kappa).

If the tests measure two similar but not identical latent constructs, then I'm a bit stumped. I'd still wager that kappa is informative.
    Be aware that it can be very hard to answer a question without sample data. You can use the dataex command for this. Type help dataex at the command line.

When presenting code or results, please use the code delimiters format them. Use the # button on the formatting toolbar, between the " (double quote) and <> buttons.

Comment

Thanks Weiwen, this is very helpful

Comment

Working...
      X