No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensitivity and specificity using roctab

Hi everybody,

I am using Stata to calculate the sensitivity and specificity of a diagnostic test (Amsel score) compared to the golden standard test Nugent score.

Code:
    tab BVbyAmsel highnugent, chi2
    roctab BVbyAmsel highnugent, detail
    The resulting table is
    Code:
               |      highnugent
     BVbyAmsel |         0          1 |     Total
    -----------+----------------------+----------
             0 |       192         66 |       258 
             1 |         6        137 |       143 
    -----------+----------------------+----------
         Total |       198        203 |       401
    If I use roctab, the results given are:
    Code:
                                                Correctly
    Cutpoint      Sensitivity   Specificity   Classified          LR+          LR-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ( >= 0 )          100.00%         0.00%       35.66%       1.0000     
    ( >= 1 )           95.80%        74.42%       82.04%       3.7451       0.0564
    ( >  1 )            0.00%       100.00%       64.34%                    1.0000
    So, a sensitivity of 95.80% and a specificity of 74.42%. But if I calculate by hand, I get the following results:

True positive: 137
    False positive: 6
    True negative: 192
    False negative: 66

Sensitivity: TP / (TP + FN) = 137 / (137 + 66) = 67.49%
    Specificity: TN / (TN + FP) = 192 / (192 + 6) = 96.97%
    Positive predictive value: TP / (TP + FP) = 137 / (137 + 6) = 95.80%
    Negative predictive value: TN / (TN + FN) = 192 / (192 + 66) = 74.42%

I have the impression I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I cannot find out how and why. Thank you for your help! I am using Stata 13.0.

Kindly, Marijn
    Last edited by Marijn Verwijs; 26 Oct 2016, 05:24.

The -roctab- command requires the reference variable ("golden standard") be listed first. You have it reversed.

By the way, you don't have to hand-calculate the sensitivity and specificity that way. When you run -tabulate- specify the -col- option. For positive and negative predictive values, specify the -row- option.

Comment

Thank you so much! That is very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde Schechter View Post
        The -roctab- command requires the reference variable ("golden standard") be listed first. You have it reversed.

By the way, you don't have to hand-calculate the sensitivity and specificity that way. When you run -tabulate- specify the -col- option. For positive and negative predictive values, specify the -row- option.
        Can you please tell us how we can get the 95% CI for Positive and negative predictive values and the LR in STATA?

Comment

So, first you have to compute the total number of true positives, false positives, true negatives, and false negatives. Then you need two denominators: ppv_denominator = true_positives + false_positives, and npv_denominator = true_negatives + false_negatives. Then for the predictive values and confidence intervals you run
          Code:
          cii proportions ppv_denominator true_positives
          cii proportions npv_denominator true_negatives
          Read -help cii-. There are a number of different approaches to calculating confidence intervals for proportions, and you can chose the one you prefer by specifying it as an option to the -cii- command.

The positive likelihood ratio is just sensitivity/(1-specificity). The likelihood ratio negative is just specificity/(1-sensitivity).

The details of how you would calculate these various totals, etc. depends on the data you are starting with, and as you don't show any example data I can't provide them.

Comment

Working...
          X